Assoc. Prof. Deborah Kirk
Clinical Intake & Research Director
Deborah Kirk, DNP, FNP-BC, NP-C, AOCN, FAANP is a highly experienced Endorsed Nurse Practitioner and academic with more than 25 years of experience across the world.
She is also an Associate Dean Postgraduate, Associate Professor at Edith Cowan University, School of Nursing and Midwifery.
- Associate Dean Postgraduate, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia. 2019 – Present.
- Associate Professor, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia. 2017 – Present.
- Associate Professor: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama. 2015 – 2017.
- Coordinator Oncology Subspecialty Nurse Practitioner Track: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama. 2013 – 2017.
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, Faculty Practice, The University of Alabama at Birmingham Kirklin Clinic, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Birmingham, Alabama. 2011 – 2017.
- Assistant Professor: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Birmingham, Alabama. 2009 – 2015.
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: The University of Alabama at Birmingham Kirklin Clinic, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Birmingham, Alabama. 2008 – 2009.
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: HOPE Medical Group, Foley, Alabama. 2006 – 2008.
- Manager of Clinical Operations, Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: University of South Alabama, Mitchell Cancer Institute Medical Oncology Mobile, Alabama. 2005 – 2006.
- Director of Nurse Practitioner Services/Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner: Montgomery Cancer Center, Montgomery, Alabama. 1999 – 2005.
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Australian College of Nurse Practitioners.
- Australian College of Nursing.
- Cancer Nurses Society of Australia.
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia.
- International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care.
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Oncology.
- Oncology Nursing Society.
Awards and Recognition
- Fulbright Specialist Program Grantee, US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affair, Namibia, Africa. 2017.
- Fellow American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Philadelphia, PA. 2017.
- American Cancer Society, Lane Adams Quality of Life Award. 2016.
- Fulbright Specialist Program Grantee, Council for International Exchange of Scholars, Fulbright Specialist Program, Malawi, Africa. 2014.
- Oncology Nurse Excellence Award Finalist (1 of 4), Academy of Oncology Nurse and Patient Navigators, Orlando, FL. 2014.
- Excellence in Nursing 2014 – BMetro, The B Metro Excellence in Nursing Program, Birmingham, AL. 2014.
- AACN’s Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Naples, FL. 2015-2016
- Chronic Disease
- Digital Care
- Supportive Care
- Palliative Care
- Mobile Applications for Practice
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, United States of America, 2007.
- Master of Science in Nursing, United States of America, 1999.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, United States of America, 1995.
- Exploring cancer survivorship in a community setting, WA Cancer and Palliative Care Network, Grant, 2019 – 2021, $73,485.
- Kirk, D., Turner, PM., (2020), Public and Professional Cancer Resources. Clinical Guide to Antineoplastic Therapy Chemotherapy Handbook, 1201-1214, United States of America, Oncology Nursing Society, DOI: https://www.ons.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/CH4eFront.pdf.
- Whitehead, L., Kirk, D., (2019), Home-based multidimensional survivorship programmes for breast cancer survivors. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 25(6), Article number e12756, DOI: 10.1111/ijn.12756.
- Whitehead, L., Ghosh, M., Kirk, D., Bloxsome, D., Vafeas, C., Wilkinson, A., (2019), The relationship between specialty nurse certification and patient, nurse and organizational outcomes: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 93(1), 1-11, United Kingdom, Pergamon, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.02.001.
- Kirk, D., Whitehead, L., (2018), Breast surgery for metastatic breast cancer. British Journal of Community Nursing, 23(7), 334-335, UK, DOI: 10.12968/bjcn.2018.23.7.334.
- Sipples, R., Taylor, R., Kirk, D., Bagcivan, G., Dionne-Odom, JN., Bakitas, M., (2017), Perioperative Palliative Care Considerations for Surgical Oncology Nurses. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 33(1), 9-22, USA, W.B. Saunders Co, DOI: 10.1016/j.soncn.2016.11.002.
- Kirk, D., Edwards, R., Bagcivan, G., Bakitas, M., (2017), Cancer and Palliative Care in the United States, Turkey, and Malawi: Developing Global Collaborations. Asia-Pacific Journal of Oncology Nursing, 4(3), 209-219, DOI: 10.4103/apjon.apjon_31_17.
- Kirk, D., Barton-Burke, M., Garzo Saria, M., Gosselin, T., Ireland, A., Norton, V., Newton, S., (2015), Everyday Advocates: Nursing Advocacy Is a Full-Time Job. American Journal of Nursing, 115(8), 66-70, Philadelphia, USA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, DOI: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000470409.04919.0f.
- Kirk, D., Hardeman, A., Owen, L., Sandson Frank, J., (2015), Information at the Point of Care: An Informational Application for Cancer Resources. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 33(9), 390-395, Philadelphia, USA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, DOI: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000171.